FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amish buggy blockade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ofischill View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ofischill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amish buggy blockade
    Posted: 03 September 2013 at 8:34am
I posted this on Facebook:

For you Pennsyltuckians: When we were up there a few weeks ago, we gave some shrimp to Amishman Noah Mast on Stitzinger Road. He said he never had any before, but Pam told his wife how to cook them. If you drive by there, stop and ask him how he liked them. (Kind of silly really, because he'll say they were very good regardless, just so he wouldn't hurt any feelings!) If he starts talking PA Dutch, that's code for not liking them.

If he really likes the shrimp, the next time there is a proposal to stop shrimping in North Carolina, we'll organize a buggy blockade at the Marine Fisheries Commission meeting.

Jerry Schill
Big Pard View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 8:37am
Now that's thinking outside the box....LOL
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:00am
Make him eat the 4.5 lbs of juvenile spot, croaker and weakfish and then see how he reacts.

Those folks live with the land, they don't rape it.

Edited by chriselk - 03 September 2013 at 9:01am
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
Big Pard View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:05am
Now we can have a buffet...

Or we can ask them to eat all the by-catch for Louisiana...

Edited by Big Pard - 03 September 2013 at 9:08am
jrh1010 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrh1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:18am
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

Make him eat the 4.5 lbs of juvenile spot, croaker and weakfish and then see how he reacts.

LOLClap
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:32am
Jerry...

How will you answer God when He asks you why you stood fast and protected the unborn children of man, but when it came to the living children of those He created that could not speak for themselves; you celebrated 20 million pounds of them dying needlessly each year for the profits of a few who in turn then profited you?

Being poor stewards of the natural bounty that God gave us is a Sin!

Edited by Ray Brown - 03 September 2013 at 9:34am
I like poundnets, non stainless circle hooks, and 50' headrope maximums and my reasons for doing so are biologically sound for estuarine waters.
ofischill View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ofischill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:36am
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

This is the problem with y'all. A guy puts something on to lighten up the mood and you can't stand it, Chris. Good Lord!

I lived among the Amish, and know them well. Most of them were excellent neighbors, but I will tell you this, based upon experience: If you have a pond on your farm with fish in it and give the Amish permission to fish it, you won't have any left for yourself.

I can also tell you this: My Amish neighbors used more chemicals than I did. Their crops were also much better. I didn't do that because I'm "green", I did it because we used spring water and I was careful about what I did on my land.

Don't talk about stuff you know nothing about as though you are an authority.
ofischill View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ofischill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

Jerry...

How will you answer God when He asks you why you stood fast and protected the unborn children of man, but when it came to the living children of those He created that could not speak for themselves; you celebrated 20 million pounds of them dying needlessly each year for the profits of a few who in turn then profited you?

Being poor stewards of the natural bounty that God gave us is a Sin!

You are equating unborn children to bycatch? Surely you jest Ray!
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:48am
Ask God that when the day comes and see if he thinks wasting His creations is a jest? If I'm still alive on that date I'll still be trying to reduce bycatch in NC while you are working it out with God.

Don't make fun of other's sincere concerns or you will be surprised how many can raise a ruckus without a bus.

Putting man ahead of God's Creations may truly be, as some religious scholars have long said, a violation of the First Commandment.

Edited by Ray Brown - 03 September 2013 at 10:03am
I like poundnets, non stainless circle hooks, and 50' headrope maximums and my reasons for doing so are biologically sound for estuarine waters.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:51am
Originally posted by ofischill ofischill wrote:

I lived among the Amish, and know them well. Most of them were excellent neighbors, but I will tell you this, based upon experience: If you have a pond on your farm with fish in it and give the Amish permission to fish it, you won't have any left for yourself.

I can also tell you this: My Amish neighbors used more chemicals than I did. Their crops were also much better. I didn't do that because I'm "green", I did it because we used spring water and I was careful about what I did on my land. 

Now  on this we can agree!  Those who have lived among the Amish will know this is trueLOL.  One of our neighbors actually put up a "No Amish" sign on his land he was so tired of the poaching and trash left behind.

And watch where you step if hunting their fields - those outhouses fill up fast and need to be spread somewhereWink.

As for your claim to being  "green" while supporting unchecked bycatch in North Carolina's estuary - you've got a serious internal conflict, which i'm guessing you don't see.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
downeaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downeaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 9:57am
Geesus bakesta, you need to go back and re-read the man's post but this time a little slower and do not assume too much.
pigs get fat but hogs get slaughtered
C. H. Laughridg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. H. Laughridg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 3:40pm
Jerry, you don't know those Amish Mafia boys, do you? 

Good Fishing!!!
ofischill View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ofischill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by C. H. Laughridg C. H. Laughridg wrote:

Jerry, you don't know those Amish Mafia boys, do you? 

Good Fishing!!!

I've never watched the show Chuck, but since they allow their pictures to be taken they're not Amish anyway.

Kind of like "Amish made furniture" and when you check it out find that that it was made with staple guns, or an "Amish made quilt" and you look at it and it's made with machine stitching.

It might be good "English marketing", but Amish it isn't!
BO4747 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BO4747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 8:11pm
If it was supposed to be funny maybe it should have been on the general message board.
BO

Fisheries management in N. C. = if it is broke, don't fix it.
..... in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
Everyone is right, in their own eyes.
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 8:23am
Was listening to a radio show the other day where they were talking with some Amish folks about modern technology.   it seems that some are moving into the "modern age" but they consider how it will impact their family and community. Computers with accounting software but no internet options. A furniture shop using nail guns, electric saws, etc but using solar and generators vs being on the grid. It was an interesting listen. One of the made a comment something along the line of "you don't want to be the first in the community to have something but you don't want to be the last either."
StillSearchin View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StillSearchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 9:17am
The God card? Really?

I guess nothing is sacred when it comes to the hate mongering associated with the ban all nets crowd.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 10:03am
SS wrote- "The God card? Really?  I guess nothing is sacred when it comes to the hate mongering associated with the ban all nets crowd."
SS...I mostly ignore your posts and make it a rule to rarely respond, even to your direct questions.  Your contribution is minimal unless one values the pot-stirring of an internet troll. 
Today is an exception. 
I'm certain that the "God Card" was not being played by Ray.  The post questions the hypocrisy shown by Jerry, the commercial sector and the NCMFC's own Mikey Daniels at many public meetings.  The group is quick to play the "God Card" and some of them with tears in their eyes and a quiver in their voice.  It reminds one of the techniques used by churches to garner blind support for "the cause".  In Mikey's and Jerry's case, it reminds me of an old Charlie Daniel's song-

Preacher man talking on TV, and puttin' down the rock and roll. Wants me
to send a donation 'cause he's worried about my soul. He said, "Jesus
walked on the water." And I know that it's true. But sometimes I think that
preacher man would like to do a little walking too.

Edited by Rick - 04 September 2013 at 10:23am
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
StillSearchin View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StillSearchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 10:54am
Ricky,
I'm so delighted that you took the time to respond to one of my posts. Sorry you don't appreciate my perspective on fisheries issues. Of course on the other hand, many of us are just sitting on the edges of our seats awaiting the dynamic input that your chicken farming background seems to bring to these discussions.
Quickfix View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

Ask God that when the day comes and see if he thinks wasting His creations is a jest? If I'm still alive on that date I'll still be trying to reduce bycatch in NC while you are working it out with God.

Don't make fun of other's sincere concerns or you will be surprised how many can raise a ruckus without a bus.

Putting man ahead of God's Creations may truly be, as some religious scholars have long said, a violation of the First Commandment.

Perhaps when you speak to God you should blame him for the wasteful bycatch, afterall, he is the one that sent that serpent creature to trick that woman who was plucked from the rib of a man into eating that fruit that turned all commercial fishermen into sinners!!

Obviously commercial fishermen did not have a choice - just born sinners I tell you!

you want to see a ruckus - try bringing religion into government policy (state or fed ) - good luck with that!

By the way, does the MFC say a prayer before getting down to the task at hand? Just curious.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 2:59pm

"By the way, does the MFC say a prayer before getting down to the task at hand? Just curious." Quickfix

Absolutely, as does the Director and the AC members.

The recreational MFC and AC member's prayer is the following:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

The commercial MFC and AC member's prayer is the following:

Trust in the power of the almighty dollar with all your heart and lean not on your own conscience; in all your ways acknowledge and vote for those politicians who enable your enterprise for they are loyal, as well, to the almighty dollar.

The scientific MFC member’s prayer:

Well…that position really doesn’t exist.  Please see commercial MFC member’s prayer.

The Director's prayer is:

Grant me the knowledge to predict change; give me the strength to climb and straddle the fence when necessary; keep the tides moderate and the wind steady; I  pray for all of this for my at will status depends on managing our fisheries through the grace of political science.

Edited by Rick - 05 September 2013 at 3:28pm
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Quickfix View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Quickfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

"By the way, does the MFC say a prayer before getting down to the task at hand? Just curious." Quickfix

Absolutely, as does the Director and the AC members.

The recreational MFC and AC member's prayer is the following:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

The commercial MFC and AC member's prayer is the following:

Trust in the power of the almighty dollar with all your heart and lean not on your own conscience; in all your ways acknowledge and vote for those politicians who enable your enterprise for they are loyal, as well, to the almighty dollar.

The scientific MFC member’s prayer:

Well…that position really doesn’t exist.  Please see commercial MFC member’s prayer.

The Director's prayer is:

Grant me the knowledge to predict change; give me the strength to climb and straddle the fence when necessary; keep the tides moderate and the wind steady; I  pray for all of this for my at will status depends on managing our fisheries through the grace of political science.

Well apparently, some member's prayers are being answered and some may very well be saying the wrong prayer - or maybe their prayers are being answered and they just don't know the difference!!!WinkLOLClap

penfish2 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penfish2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 10:10am
"... based upon experience: If you have a pond on your farm with fish in it and give the Amish permission to fish it, you won't have any left for yourself."

Stupifyin', Jerry. You know the perspective of recreational anglers when dealing with true-believer netters. Who'da guessed it?

I've heard you talk, buddy, and you play the God card as quicker or quicker, with a crocodile tear or two thrown in, than anyone I've ever seen. I think even Jimmy Swaggart or Oral Roberts could take notes. Seriously, lemme ask -- is it all for the pols, the media or the down-home folks?

Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.
* Henry David Thoreau
sea byrd View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sea byrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 10:22am
Originally posted by ofischill ofischill wrote:

They would fit right in to NC's Commercial fishing mentality

Favorite pastime. Catching fish and eating the few fish I am allowed to keep. At least I am not killing four times the number I eat.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2013 at 8:12am
Yeah-That's a COMEUPANCE! Being lectured about righteousness by our most luminous lobbyist, whose concept of "religion" and its potential USES has provided a SUSTAINABLE flow of juices from the very orifice which threatens to drown us in its beatific, profound and unquestionably God-guided wisdom in protecting the faithful from the citizens who demand logical and incorruptible stewardship of these resources. Way to go,Sir---the Amish evidently DO stand for unlimited headrope in the NURSERY.
V/H Dog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic