FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weldon Shad?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bernardo View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weldon Shad?
    Posted: 15 March 2014 at 6:24pm
Any shad being caught at Weldon yet?
plasticpeddler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plasticpeddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2014 at 10:31pm
I had to drive to Richmond Monday and took a look. No shad, but a guy on the bank caught a small striper on a shad dart.
C. H. Laughridg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. H. Laughridg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2014 at 8:13am
Fish are definitely there, but good days and not so good will be decided by the US Army Corps of Engineers and how much rain the Good Lord puts in Kerr Lake.

Seems to be stable at 10,000cfs flow at R Rapids dam, but more rain/sleet/ice pellets are forecast for the area this week.

Watch the weather and the flows, but plan on good days ahead, that's for sure!

Good Fishing!!!

Edited by C. H. Laughridg - 16 March 2014 at 8:16am
mikesbro View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 7:35pm
Chuck, what flow levels do you prefer at Weldon? Hope to get up there soon!
Scott Hobbs View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Hobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 7:43pm
Heard of shad being caught from the boat ramp area. Just not great numbers yet, but it is coming.
De Oppresso Liber

The healing of a soul is only a cast away.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 8:21pm
Fish can be caught at all levels-depends on how you value life and lower unit!
C. H. Laughridg View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. H. Laughridg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 8:44pm
Supposed to rise again Wed from a level 10,000cfs to 16,000cfs, how 'bout it TomM, you wanna go in the morning with the forecast of 34 degrees and ice pellets/snow thru midday???

Trust me boys, if it was one every cast and they were paying me $1000 to launch, I think I'd wait til the water levels got back to 10,000cfs, but if it stays level at 16 or even 20, you can catch some, but the flow is brutal and dangerous, even more so than being low.

One slipped anchor, one cup of bad gas, one buddy who pulls the hook before the engine is running & ready to go, one anchor that catches with to little scope/rode/rope and the boat gets pulled under 'cause a buddy hooked it to the cleat and just tossed it over, one bad mistake just trying to help folks in canoes/yaks/14ft jons, one slip that puts you in 46 degree water that going 10 plus miles an hour, one tree the size of a small condo, and on and on makes the Neuse look like a wise choice, even the Tar.

Go if you know the water, live close, fish it a lot, or go with a guide that does, oh, and putting the boat back on the trailer can be a witch and a half.

Good Fishing!!!
kknudsen View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kknudsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 9:17pm
Well put, Chuck. Or as one Oregon Inlet mate told his Captain brother who was the first boat to try the bar one bad day and took one that blew out all the curtains up top, broke one of the side windows, dumped the party and broke one of them's arm before they could turn around and go home at 6 AM, "you ever do that s..t again, I'm gonna kick yer arse! Ain't no tuna fish worth dying for."
The best days to fish are always yesterday and tomorrow.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2014 at 9:27pm
I will wait for warmer. It is not a forgiving river especially when flows are up but Chuckie and I have done some crazy stuff there. Do not get hurt over a fish! Never trust the flow predictions this time of year-Kerr over 300 COE gets nervous and flushes with no warning.

Edited by TomM - 17 March 2014 at 9:32pm
pjohns View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjohns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2014 at 10:39am
Pay attention to Chuck!

That river is dangerous at high water levels. I do believe the worst part is getting out, especially with the new ramp and multiple boats trying to get out at the same time. I watch one poor fellow make what seemed to be his first solo attempt at landing in high water and he tried to squeeze between two other boaters. It wasn't pretty and he did not make any new friends that day.

Water is a little calmer downstream, with more room to move out of the way of drifting boats and debris. Bad part is that there are few places to get out of the current. At higher flows (20,000cfs or more, I have been able to anchor up behind the Big Rock and have found good fishing. Maybe because the shad are looking for a break in the current to rest.

Highest I ever fished there was 32,000 cfs and I had to be nuts! At that level, I moved over the falls and I swear there was 20 feet under the keel. Problem is that upstream, the channels are narrow and the water is very fast. I would never try to anchor up in that kind of water for all the reasons Chuck gave. Drifting is not a good idea, and your speed would be better suited for Spanish than shad. There is a small creek upstream at the water treatment plant on the upstream left bank. It's not the sweetest place to fish, but it will hold a fair number of boats and the fish seem to use it to get out of the current. I have had good days there, but you really have to have high water to get there from the Weldon ramp. Keep in mind you also need high water to get back down too!

Bottom line, unless you are really confident about you boat and your OK with handling in fast water, I suggest checking the river gauge before you go and be prepared to back off if the water looks too high when you get there.
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2014 at 10:43am
Make a man stay away from Weldon all together
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Scott Hobbs View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Hobbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2014 at 8:19pm
Weldon is a great place if you love high fast waters, great big rocks all over the river, long lines at the boat ramp, and loads of fish.
De Oppresso Liber

The healing of a soul is only a cast away.
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2014 at 9:08pm
Key word-Loads of fish.  I remember the first time I went there back in 1998.  I pulled up to that ramp.  Got out of the jeep and took a look.  That ramp was very intimidating.  I put the boat in and caught some shad that day.  And I have been back every year since then.  If you hit it just right you can catch 150 shad a day.  Catch 'em up.
bernardo View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bernardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2014 at 8:52am
three of us fished from 10am to 3pm friday and caught a total of 6 shad.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2014 at 9:03am
Weldon: Try not to kill;Try not to die. Lay wreath for my friend Jim's several lower units.Wait for single hook days.Pray to not become a big spinner blade on end of anchor rope.Wear knee pad,butt pad, helmet:check.That is all.
V/H Dog
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2014 at 9:24am
Jaskew View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaskew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2014 at 12:39pm
Fished Weldon from shore at boat ramp Saturday afternoon, 3/22 from 3 to 6 pm. Fishing was pretty slow, but I caught about 10, and they all looked like Hickory shad. They were biting just enough to keep everyone's interest. However, the main shad schools were not in yet. Stay tuned! I did catch all of them on gold spoon, and tutti fruiti clouser.

Edited by Jaskew - 25 March 2014 at 12:41pm
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2014 at 12:30pm
Fished at Weldon Friday afternoon before the rain came.  Caught 25 in 2 hours.  Caught 'em on the tandem rig of spoon and dart.  Didn't even put the boat in Sat or Sun.

Edited by Redfish - 30 March 2014 at 12:43pm
Jaskew View Drop Down
Experienced
Experienced

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaskew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2014 at 3:04pm
I understand you fished from shore? How high was the water?
Redfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW SUPPORTER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2014 at 4:30pm
I fished from the boat.  Water was, I would say about medium and not too bad to navigate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic