FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fake News and Lies for the Commercial Industry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake News and Lies for the Commercial Industry
    Posted: 15 June 2017 at 11:27am
"Hundreds of commercial fishermen and their families, along with local government and agency leaders spent Wednesday walking the halls of the North Carolina Legislative Building in an effort to battle a bill they say could shut down the entire industry."

http://outerbanksvoice.com/2017/06/14/fishermen-locals-descend-on-raleigh-to-fight-fisheries-bill/

"State House recognizes more than 350 commercial fishermen and their families that traveled from the coast to lobby against H867."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bscfpRj8uqQ&feature=youtu.be

I counted about 99 total people including state legislators and lobbyists in the photo below.  It looks like less than 50 commercial fishermen with the rest being wives, sisters, mothers and children... including the clerical staff from Cooke Seafood, B&J Seafood, Beaufort Inlet Seafood and the Dare County Chamber of Commerce. Wink

Edited by Rick - 15 June 2017 at 2:20pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 12:29pm

...the seafood industry is represented, and has been represented for years, by this group called the N.C.F.A. And they purport to--and I use that word intentionally--they purport and have purported to represent commercial fishermen, and in some respects, they do and have.

...they [commercial fishermen] all spoke with one voice through the North Carolina Fisheries Association, which was unfortunate.  Because I always had the impression that the N.C.F.A. was speaking for the seafood industry, the bigger boats, the seafood companies mostly in Wanchese and elsewhere. And that they had a real interest in everyone speaking from the same hymn book, or same whatever the expression is.  Singing from the same hymn book.

..any time a group of fishermen would try to speak out in a way that was different than their lobbying group, the N.C.F.A., there was a lot of pressure, you know, not to do that. And a lot of pressure, serious pressure, where some people were told that "the truck's not gonna come pick up your catch next Thursday if you continue to speak out."  And that was also eye-opening to me that, you know, it was actually a fairly intimidating issue to work on because, when push came to shove, people could get their backs against the wall and, and it was not terribly, you know, pleasant...

Dan Whittle- Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary for Natural Resources and Senior Policy Advisor for the Secretary of Natural Resources under Governor Jim Hunt

Edited by Rick - 15 June 2017 at 12:31pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 2:52pm
I would bet the farm that few people in that picture could cite what HB 867 changed to the FRA.

I also think Trump was doing the counting of the crowd that showed up.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

I would bet the farm that few people in that picture could cite what HB 867 changed to the FRA.

I also think Trump was doing the counting of the crowd that showed up.

Chris, we know that the commercial sector can't count fish, just look at the reported trip ticket landings.  Why would we expect them to count people any better.  What confuses me is that their dyscalculia results in an understatement of fish and an overstatement of people.  Go figure. Wink

Edited by Rick - 15 June 2017 at 3:00pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 4:21pm
They do not need a bill to shut down a industry that will eventually shut itself down if something is not done,but the fish need a bill to have a chance for the future I would think.
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 4:18pm
You can see Jerry is backpedaling hard on the "200 - 350 commercial fishermen" claim. 

Jerry got caught in that big lie and now his total credibility is in question...and rightfully so.

http://www.facebook.com/NCFisheriesAssoc/posts/1483648278324358

Jerry's not putting a number on it anymore.  Wink  Twenty-five to thirty actual working commercial fishermen is probably about the real number.

SEAFOOD LOBBY DAY:
Seafood Lobby Day this past Wednesday was a tremendous success! Thanks to all who made the sacrifice to travel to Raleigh and show support for commercial fishing, their families and for our citizens to have access to fresh North Carolina seafood!
The primary reason for the trip was to let our legislators know that we oppose H-867 and our reasons for it. That goal was certainly accomplished, and it was done with numbers, unity and respect. It was a great day for commercial fishermen and seafood consumers!
We will post more about Seafood Lobby Day next week along with a few more pictures, but below is one of the group shot. Not all of the folks that attended are in the picture as some were in meetings and others were eating lunch.

Edited by Rick - 17 June 2017 at 5:03pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 7:12pm
Has he ever had any credibility to begin with or any of those that support him as far as that goes
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 8:57am
Credibility seems to have taken a back seat for awhile here in good ol' different. The relevant fact, Cap, is that a person of such fabulous persuasive talents could take raw crapoleum, let it ferment, mix it up, and then spread it so effectively over a considerable portion of the coastal plain that the legislature as a whole, the legal system, the enforcement wing, AND the people who least benefit (the small time fisherman, and anglers, and coastal residents in general) just go ahead and support "boom-bust" prosecution of fisheries that might otherwise be REALLY SUSTAINABLE, if rational ideas were given breath and light before the state milieu. But Jer just has that star-quality somehow, to have held the ear of all those illustrious moguls of deep-think who run this show. It actually gives me hope that Ray, and Rick will achieve the vindication they deserve before all the state's lackadaisical happy-go-lucky citizens who know not of nursery, estuary, nor brine, when that heavy, nictitating membrane of affective stupidity gives over to the inevitable peeling back of that veneer, and the mass of happy dummies out west, sees how systematically ripped-off they've been, and for how long. I don't think the eastern ones will ever get that through, however.
V/H Dog
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2017 at 9:08pm
“The Devil fights from behind barricades of linguistic complexity, but the war of words will be won by those armed only with simplistic truths”
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic