FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Measuring Trawling Effort- AIS MMSI

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Measuring Trawling Effort- AIS MMSI
    Posted: 17 January 2018 at 6:38pm
Good Stuff!

Maybe one day on the Pamlico Sound!!!

Bright Lights Reveal the “Dark” Fleet

A new partnership between Global Fishing Watch and NOAA matches
night-time imagery with monitoring data from fishing vessels.

January 16, 2018: Global Fishing Watch has entered into a new data-sharing partnership with the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to improve understanding of the activity of fishing vessels in Indonesian waters. Through the partnership, Global Fishing Watch and NOAA are matching Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) data from the Indonesian government with NOAA’s satellite based Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS), which reveals the locations of brightly lit vessels at night. The idea is to identify fishing vessels that are not picked up by other monitoring systems and to test and refine the use of VIIRS for identifying and distinguishing different types of fishing vessels.

By cross matching VMS from Indonesia with VIIRS, the team found that roughly 80 percent of VIIRS detections could not be correlated to a vessel broadcasting VMS. The vast majority of these vessels are likely to be fishing vessels using bright lights to attract fish. While a small number may be other types of vessels, most ships do not use lights bright enough for detection. This work indicates that the addition of VIIRS data can greatly enhance transparency in commercial fishing in Indonesia.

The team believes most of the VIIRS detections are from fishing vessels not required to carry VMS because they are under the 30 gross ton (GT) threshold established by the government of Indonesia. It is also possible that some vessels detected only by VIIRS meet the size requirement but have switched off their VMS or have a faulty device. Another possibility is that VIIRS is detecting foreign boats that are not carrying VMS because they are poaching from Indonesian waters.

“I’m excited for this opportunity to see the dark fleet,” said David Kroodsma, Global Fishing Watch Research Program Director. The dark fleet being a common term used to describe vessels that don’t show up in vessel monitoring systems and therefore are said to operate in the dark. “NOAA’s VIIRS data shows us vessels we can’t see by any other means and helps us to gain a more complete picture of fishing activity.”

Global Fishing Watch detects nearly all large fishing vessels in Indonesian waters by combining Indonesia’s VMS data and publicly broadcast AIS data which is required on vessels exceeding 300 GT. Global Fishing Watch can even tell when vessels turn off their monitoring devices. But the system is unable to see vessels when they are not broadcasting either AIS or VMS. Incorporating VIIRS, which represents a completely new source of data, into the Global Fishing Watch database and, eventually, the public mapping platform, will reveal the activity of even more of the world’s commercial fishing fleet.

To cross match VMS and VIIRS, NOAA’s Earth Observation Group developed an orbital model that predicts the probable location of each VMS-broadcasting vessel at the time of the VIIRS data collection. The model checks the predicted location against the actual VIIRS detections to define matches. Prior to the partnership with Global Fishing Watch, NOAA had access to two months of Indonesia VMS data, which they used to develop their cross-matching algorithm.

The partnership with Global Fishing Watch has provided three years-worth of Indonesian VMS data, which NOAA has now matched to its VIIRS vessel detections. In addition, the partnership has provided NOAA with valuable information on vessel gear types and identification numbers in the VMS records.

This new data is enabling NOAA to calculate the frequency of VIIRS boat detections for the different fishing gear types and to work towards a calibration for estimating wattage from the VIIRS detected radiance. “When I saw what Global Fishing Watch could provide in the data, I said, Wow, that could really help us a lot, because we don’t have access to this information in any other way,” said Chris Elvidge, NOAA’s Earth Observation Group Lead. His team is creating an atlas of fishing grounds for Indonesia using the three years of VMS provided by Global Fishing Watch and multiple years of VIIRS data.

Global Fishing Watch is able to provide the VMS data because of its partnership with Indonesia, which began publicly sharing their VMS through the Global Fishing Watch platform in June 2017. They are the first nation to take such bold steps toward transparency, and Peru has recently signed an MOU to do the same.

Now that Global Fishing Watch has access to the VIIRS boat detection data they can vastly expand the number of fishing boat records reported in the public database. In addition, it would be possible to cross match VMS or AIS data with VIIRS boat detections to identify “dark vessels” which may be fishing illegally. The combined data sources could also be analyzed to detect clusters of fishing boats straddling international boundaries, or fishing in Marine Protected Areas.

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2017 at 8:40am
So BRAD, how does one go about receiving the privilege to produce threatened species in the NC estuary where the population in the wild is known to be in significant decline? I suppose you will be restocking the estuary from the comfort of your captain's chair, bolted to the floor of your office, the position of honor in your highly esteemed dotage. If I were you, I wouldn't want to discuss the fact that the equally imperious government (to myself), struggles to revive certain runs of fish that I and like minds destroyed in waves over the whole of our history. Similarly, I would point out how damned healthy this estuary is(despite some conspicuously ABSENT and collapsed species of marketable value), and suggest that anyone concerned about these facts be thought of as ignorantly uninformed, and surely has no stake in the fishery. Where have you gone, great respected elder statesman of a generation we may well elevate to godly status, who knew no, and could do no, wrong?

Edited by cnaff - 01 August 2017 at 8:42am
V/H Dog
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 2:56pm
Brad, you may enjoy the inside scoop to who knows the story from all sides, but evidence piles up against the idea that NC commercial operators ever produce conservation of their targeted species, whether for their own professional sustainability, or for that of the habitat they rely upon. I question the reasonableness of the state doling out "farming rights" to operators such as yourself to engage in exclusive production of a species known to be in extremis with regard to population viability in THIS estuary. Your sympatico with the crooked eel dealers up north bodes well for continuation of the black hand which so reliably allocates the resource to those most disinclined to share it in such a way in that others might touch and smell it outside a fish house chain of supply. As a free market guy, it's tough for me to accept that the independent small time fisherman should have to be dogged by incessant regulation and control, but the bigger players such as yourself give the lie to the industry -as -environmental steward. It, and you, are not any damn better than the coastal residents and visitors you blithely cheat of resources you have taken. Your anti-intelligent thrust here is cute, but surely your bibliography and data sources are derelict or nonexistent, or is it your lost recollections of gear in the water are too far downstream for it to matter........ Just like your proclamation that seines don't exceed the mile mark.:By 1852, the Select Committee on Fisheries reported that North Carolina’s rivers which were once overflowing with shad in the springtime were now virtually empty. The fishery had been abandoned on most of the principle rivers. Only the Chowan River and Albemarle Sound could the commercial shad fisherman still be found, according to the Select Committee’s report “where seins are used of more than a mile in length and thousands of drag and set nets dot over the waters in every direction” – all desperately clinging to a fish and a way of life that they had come to destroy.

Edited by cnaff - 01 August 2017 at 8:19am
V/H Dog
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 8:33am
Brad....

Animal Farm is fiction, very much like Wetland Riders. There is an element of truth surrounded by deep, deep prejudices in order to sell books.

If I were to ever have to wear and ankle bracelet I have no doubt it would be because I did something that made me a concern of society.   We make our own bed. That can range from infidelity, to fishing out of season, to assault, but what we create, we live in. Everything we do, good or bad, has consequences, and if we are doing something with the assets of others then it is their decision, not mine or yours, as to whether what we are doing is good or bad.

As far as AIS is concerned; it is public information and since fish are public assets too, then using AIS to determine effort is not at all an unreasonable end result.

Edited by Ray Brown - 26 July 2017 at 8:34am
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2017 at 5:59am
Brad, are you defending long hauls seines now?  Thank goodness there are few of them nowadays.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 6:45pm
Can't confirm 2 miles but can at least 1 mile. Behind Frisco Buxton 80s 90s. All the smaller fish were thrown over and west wind pushed them to shore- helluva stench. Even some of locals were dropping motor blocks😂 They pretty much would sterilize an area. That started the end of gtrout.
ncshellfish View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 5:35pm
When a "stakeholder" starts talking about two mile long haul seines that makes everything else he says suspect. 

Myopic Mafia Brad
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by kshivar kshivar wrote:

i said "think carefully". does anyone want to argue more fish eating shrimp yields fewer shrimp? has anyone out there been struck moronic? sadly it will surprise me if someone doesn't believe that.  

Absolutely-  The stocks of major finfish species that prey on shrimp are depressed compared to historical numbers.  Not only are the numbers depressed but the sizes are depressed due to truncated age structures.  Total biomass of predator species is way down when you look at croaker, spot, gray trout, southern flounder and summer flounder.

Edited by Rick - 25 July 2017 at 2:35pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:32pm
i said "think carefully". does anyone want to argue more fish eating shrimp yields fewer shrimp? has anyone out there been struck moronic? sadly it will surprise me if someone doesn't believe that.  
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:12pm
I thought you had waved goodbye to this forum...nah...I knew better.

Originally posted by BaitWaster BaitWaster wrote:

Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

...but still no comment on the subject at hand.

Why?  To what point? 

OK - CRFLGate as a name is LOL

Days of discussion and debate on NCW are over.  That ship has sailed.

Now the Rick & Ray Free Fire Zone.

I don't plan on going anywhere.  Still fighting the same old battles.

We'll see what happens to shrimp harvest.  We know without a doubt what is happening to croaker, spot, gray trout, southern flounder, summer flounder, blue crab...

Contrary to what NCDMF claims, it certainly doesn't look like trawl effort is down 50% to 80% if landings are any indication of true effort.

Edited by Rick - 25 July 2017 at 1:17pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 12:09pm
I wonder if the back to back good years have anything to do with a mild winter allowing later and earlier harvesting
BaitWaster View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW PATRON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaitWaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by bakesta bakesta wrote:

Removing 6% of the biota on every pass is a huge negative effect.   And with a recovery time more than a year, the additive effects of yearly trawling are massive.

This article is a true indictment of bottom trawling.

Obviously NC is different Wink as apparently a pound of shrimp equals an equal amount and composition from the beginning of the season to the end. 
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

History shows that record shrimp harvest years are followed by below average ones, but I admit that either climate change or global warming may be affecting us currently so we will have to wait and see.  

Actually, based on landings data, great years appear to be lumped back-to-back, e.g., 1999-2000, 2007-2008, 2015-2016.

2015 was 30% above 20-year 7 million pounds average followed by almost double the average in 2016 (90%). 
I'm not here for a long time, but I'm here for a good time.

The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie
cnaff View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 11:18am
Looking at all sides, young Brad, one finds that the commercial fishing community hasn't ever supported conservation of public trust resources. Crashing populations of fish with two mile haul seines and then progressing to the monofilament gill net, while dragging the estuary in ocean sized behemoths, and, oh yes, telling us how they are our daddies, who do what they want, while their environmental and ethical partners in government wholesale rail the citizens right up there, and if somebody dares utter an objection to these proven abuses, YOU call it a miopic shortcoming on the part of the stakeholders that you just can't get with their stakeholder-ness enough to understand that you can't have it all. You certainly seem well suited to an eel mafia structure like they have in Maine.
V/H Dog
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 10:44am
History shows that record shrimp harvest years are followed by below average ones, but I admit that either climate change or global warming may be affecting us currently so we will have to wait and see.   There is also an unprecedented amount of day light trawling going on in Pamlico Sound this year due to the influx of new participants.  That alone coul reduce poundage due to harvest at a younger age while at the same time reducing the economic impact on NC for the same reason.  Bigger shrimp demand, and attain, a bigger price.

Edited by Ray Brown - 25 July 2017 at 10:45am
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 8:59am
I wouldn't want to risk sounding dumb, but I thought shrimp harvest predictions were based on salinity levels of the upper reaches of the nursery where marine fish find it too fresh.

And yes I come to NCwaterman for the fun of arguing but more importantly to maybe influence someone who truly wants to see all sides of the issues.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 8:43am
Thanks Tom.

I don't know your age but im in my 60's. This isn't my first rodeo either. 

If your travels bring you to Swansboro this fall I'd love to show you my hatchery  and we can roast some oysters, have a few beers, and talk about the old days.

Brad
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2017 at 7:53am
Arguing about science, trading insults all in good fun I'm sure. Record shrimp harvest last year = Few predators (fish). Does anyone really want to argue that? Think carefully
So u don't look and sound especially dumb.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 8:49pm
Sorry shellfish about the "son" but having been around a long time and having seen the best of times and now a low I can see what might be coming. Course I could have been more careful but being a bot....... Tide is going out- enjoy. My profile is visible if you have a question
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Ray Brown Ray Brown wrote:

And if that is not enough....

Trawling does what?

Removing 6% of the biota on every pass is a huge negative effect.   And with a recovery time more than a year, the additive effects of yearly trawling are massive.

This article is a true indictment of bottom trawling.

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 7:38pm
huh?  Is TomM a bot? Is that you daddy, "son" I always thought you died in Brazil. Maybe we can meet at Ray's to get reacquainted.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:51pm
I don't eat nc shrimp and sleep better at night. Fish taste better. That said son kill em all and make yourselves extinct- kinda like you will be when Cooke moves in. Have a blessed day.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:25pm
oh I forgot, thank god Sean Connery didn't hit one of Mr. Fulcher's boats when he bought Red Ocktober through Ockracoke  inlet andsailed it to the Cliffs of the Neuse.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:19pm
The thread is called AIS MMIS.

The other countries are?  Indonesia is excited about it because they are in a shooting war with China over fisheries areas.

Why would a Port Captain exclude a boat tied to the dock?

I think GPS was developed to put a missle down a rabbit hole. Navigation assistance came much later.

I've never seen a law that didn't have a loophole for the well connected or lawyer-ed up. 

There is something left out of the equation here, why would a boat in a legal fishery fishing in a legal manner need to hide his presence. 

When Capt Phillips left the sound in Rick's track, the AIS showed him going to the railway. Did it prove he trawled all the way to Beaufort.

Ray if you support your neighbor wearing an ankle bracelet, don't get mad when he doesn't defend you when they put one on you. Maybe you should reread 1984.

I don't remember, did the pigs survive Animal Farm?

Brad 
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:32pm
No one has said that AIS was not established as a safety tool first and foremost, but in other countries it is used to monitor and watch harvest of public trust resources and the information is public as Rick has proven.

Marine waters are not private gardens thus where and what a person is doing in public areas is certainly subject to monitoring just like video cameras monitor all of us in public buildings.

I've talked with the same folks you did down in Wilmington and they admit that fishermen hate it, but that the program does exist for their safety and that the results ARE public information and attainable by anyone who seeks it.   Port Captains can exclude, but only when that boat is in port or in close quarters. You can't claim Pamlico Sound is "an inland sea" and then claim on another day that it is "close quarters".

But it clearly shows the beating that Pamlico Sound gets each year. It also shows that areas like Chesapeake Bay don't get beaten like this.

GPS was not developed to show infidelity by anyone, but in the end it is often used to prove it.

AIS is not the issue here, what it shows is however quite revealing to those who never thought of the traversing of the sound these large ships do.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncshellfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 4:10pm
Well just got off the phone with CG commercial vessel compliance officer. It is a safety tool, not a fishery tool, period. Vessel Monitoring systems are fishery enforcement systems and the public does not have access to that data.

He said when he inspects a new vessel, he tells them they need an AIS. He said the CG is in the education phase of AIS. AIS is low on the totem pole when a fishery, environmental, or safety inspection is done at sea. Port captains can even grant exemptions.

I asked what about a scallop boat in Pamlico Sound, does he need his AIS on, maybe maybe not. 

Globalfishingwatch, what a piece of work. I think the mantra is global problems require global solutions. I didn't know Google and Bloomberg were so fisheries conscious or recreational friendly. Maybe di Caprio is dying for some pan trout.

Big Ag has a bottleneck on soil based crops. The solution to global seafood will be Big Fish.

I doubt anybody that reads Waterman will get invited to the exotic treaty party that takes the resource from the many and gives it to the few.

Go Zerohedge!

Brad

Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 3:08pm
Proponents of trawling quote an old study that says an otter trawl going over a piece of bottom in shallow water is no more than what happens during a hurricane in terms of damage to the bethinic community on and just under that bottom. The record will show that I have always agreed with them. Please look at the graphs that Rick put up, and add the number of boats that don't turn on their devices to those graphs and then ask yourself a very, very important question prefaced by a fact.

An otter trawl creates a false hurricane in terms of damage, whenever it goes over a piece of bottom in Pamlico Sound.   With that fact in mind, how many false hurricanes does certain bottoms in Pamlico Sound have to sustain each year?

And if that is not enough....

Trawling does what?

Edited by Ray Brown - 24 July 2017 at 3:12pm
CapRandy View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapRandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 8:20pm
How can you tell if certain people are lying? Their mouths are moving !!!
Murder is killing but all killing is not murder
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 7:36pm
Obviously, they don't follow the regulations, but we are supposed to accept their data as gospel. 
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
todobien View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todobien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 6:02pm
So the vessel with dmf staff on it is not following USCG requirements.
jtoler View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtoler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2017 at 3:56pm
Maybe the DMF will use the CRFL funds to pay the fines for the kids; if any are ever charged. Certainly would be in line with the current misappropriation of funds. 
Jill
Fly Fishing, messing with my mind since 2007.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic