FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Answer to Southern Flounder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
FLOUDERMN View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLOUDERMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 8:55am
Originally posted by jtoler jtoler wrote:

Are they bycatch, discards, kept to sell? Aren't they freshwater fish?
thats why we don't have turtles in Currituck Sound way to fresh ive been telling ya'll for yrs turtles don't swim with gars and carp,and yes there is a market for both but only certain times of yr!
18 PRIVATEER 26ft Willis Harkers Island 27ft Broadwater                 commercial fishing support it or import it
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by FLOUDERMN FLOUDERMN wrote:

Rick those yardage charts are all estimates,kinda like that Recreational Fisherman Catch Data!!I wouldn't bet the ranch that those numbers are anywhere close to being accurate!!

Flounderman is right.  Those numbers are inaccurate, since they are based on the number of trip tickets, which we all know is a subset of the total trips.  Moreover, fishermen do not report turtle interactions.

As for recreational data, it is measured and calculated much differently, as it should be.  Using hard quotas in waves may work for commercial fishing, but it is completely inappropriate for recreational fishing. 

At least with the recreational side of things, attempts are being made to improve the data collection, as well as how its used.  Recreational fishermen are embracing better data, not obfuscating it.
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 1:35pm

thats why we don't have turtles in Currituck Sound way to fresh ive been telling ya'll for yrs turtles don't swim with gars and carp,and yes there is a market for both but only certain times of yr!

How about largemouth bass?  Is there a market for those?

How about Sturgeon?

Edited by Rick - 08 March 2018 at 1:55pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2018 at 1:59pm

Rick, i was observed more times than not this yr,not very hard when your 1 of 2 in 20miles that fish Flounder nets and have been setting same places same times of the yr for the last 28yrs.Some days he was waiting at nets 6am some days come after i already fished 1/2 my stand but yeah more coverage this yr in my area than yrs past thats a fact!!!

So you're saying there are only two of you in your whole area setting large mesh for flounder?
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
FLOUDERMN View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLOUDERMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by chriselk chriselk wrote:

Rick those yardage charts are all estimates,kinda like that Recreational Fisherman Catch Data!!I wouldn't bet the ranch that those numbers are anywhere close to being accurate!!

Flounderman is right.  Those numbers are inaccurate, since they are based on the number of trip tickets, which we all know is a subset of the total trips.  Moreover, fishermen do not report turtle interactions.

As for recreational data, it is measured and calculated much differently, as it should be.  Using hard quotas in waves may work for commercial fishing, but it is completely inappropriate for recreational fishing. 

At least with the recreational side of things, attempts are being made to improve the data collection, as well as how its used.  Recreational fishermen are embracing better data, not obfuscating it.
Those trip tickets just assume everybody is fishing maximum yards allowed,which we all know not every gillnetter sets the maximum allowed yardage.WinkNow if you go by observer Data you would see that not everyone fishes the maximum yardage.Big smile
18 PRIVATEER 26ft Willis Harkers Island 27ft Broadwater                 commercial fishing support it or import it
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2018 at 11:19am

Those trip tickets just assume everybody is fishing maximum yards allowed,which we all know not every gillnetter sets the maximum allowed yardage.WinkNow if you go by observer Data you would see that not everyone fishes the maximum yardage.Big smile

Try to stay up! Wink

My post above used "observer Data". 

fiogf49gjkf0d
FLOUDERMN View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLOUDERMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

How about Sturgeon?

You hardly ever see Large Mouth bass in 1ft to 2ft of water you know this alreadyWinkNot very many blue dots you notice where they are don't you? Not any gillnets being fished that far up nice try thoughLOLLOL 
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

How about Sturgeon?

You hardly ever see Large Mouth bass in 1ft to 2ft of water you know this alreadyWinkNot very many blue dots you notice where they are don't you? Not any gillnets being fished that far up nice try thoughLOLLOL 

Not following you logic on that one at all.  Every black dot is a large mesh observation.
fiogf49gjkf0d
FLOUDERMN View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLOUDERMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 6:12pm
Rick they all lived to see another day,except the ones way up the river!Now i can tell you that this chart is inaccurate because they got a place peppered that im the only 1 that fishes that area and i can tell you i haven't been observed catching any Sturgeon.

themoose View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote themoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2018 at 7:40am

i can tell you i haven't been observed catching any Sturgeon.

Interesting choice of words..... 
FLOUDERMN View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLOUDERMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 11:29am
Originally posted by themoose themoose wrote:

i can tell you i haven't been observed catching any Sturgeon.

Interesting choice of words..... 
It's the truth i would like to see how they got the most fished areas peppered with observed catches of Sturgeon.Me and another guy are the only ones fishing those areas and neither 1 of us has ever been observed catching a sturgeon.This chart is total BULLSNOT all the way around.Confused
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2018 at 6:14pm
I’ve never been observed catching 4 upper slot drum on consecutive casts with my favorite spook. It sure was fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic