FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coastal Fishing Reform Group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coastal Fishing Reform Group
    Posted: 05 December 2019 at 12:56pm

Most of us here, most outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen, know Joe through the Carolina Outdoor Journal-

Joe has been involved for a long time. With his retirement from Carolina Outdoor Journal, he can concentrate his energy fighting for sustainable fisheries in NC.  He's been involved for a long time, just google his name and CFRG.

I received this email today. 

To: North Carolina’s recreational fisherman, commercial fisherman, and citizens of our great State. It’s time.

It’s time that we come to the rescue of our diminishing coastal marine resources. It’s time that we force change in the way North Carolina manages our coastal marine resources.

It’s time to force our Governor to keep his promises. It’s time that we force the legislature to do the right thing for our citizens, instead of acting in their own political interests.

That time has come.

The North Carolina Coastal Fisheries Reform Group has clearly described in our website (NCCFRG.ORG) the issues and necessary remedies to protect, preserve, and replenish our precious coastal marine resources. We welcome you to join us as we bring a ground swell of support from all citizens of NC to make the sweeping changes that are necessary.

It’s time. Join us.

Dave Sammons, Bob Crone, Joe Albea

Please visit  today.

Edited by Rick - 05 December 2019 at 12:58pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2019 at 1:08pm
Show me a REAL plan while taking the gloves off and I'll show you the money.  Tired of hearing all of the "rah-rah" "Go Team"!!
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2019 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Redfisher Redfisher wrote:

Show me a REAL plan while taking the gloves off and I'll show you the money.  Tired of hearing all of the "rah-rah" "Go Team"!!

I hear you Redfisher, I'm tired too.

Define a "Real plan".

Define "taking the gloves off".

Look at my signature line-  fisheries management in NC is a "political" science.

We know how politics work.

The more teams involved, the more Raleigh "can" listen. 

...and they ultimately will.

Sit on the sidelines, go fishing, wait.  We've got you covered.  If you get time- write an email, attend a meeting to give public comment, call your House and Senate member

For $35 you can join CCA as a member and get the magazine Tidelines every month... less cost than 10-gallons of boat gas or two jars of Gulp.

Edited by Rick - 05 December 2019 at 3:04pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
marker39 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2019 at 9:41pm
A "real plan" does not involve more "mesh size" and "yardage per set" regulations.

It involves removing gill nets from inshore waters, period........

This is where the legislature is key and where everyone seems to agree the hay will made.

Legislators do not want to hear about all these small mesh vs large mesh, seasons, yada yada yada.

They don't understand the issue well enough to even discuss it.

Show them why they need to be removed and the economics of it and then maybe you will get their ear.

Seems to me the "remedies" are too complicated for any legislative action. And heaven forbid getting it through the "process".

BW #2
Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by marker39 marker39 wrote:

A "real plan" does not involve more "mesh size" and "yardage per set" regulations.

It involves removing gill nets from inshore waters, period........

This is where the legislature is key and where everyone seems to agree the hay will made.

Legislators do not want to hear about all these small mesh vs large mesh, seasons, yada yada yada.

They don't understand the issue well enough to even discuss it.

Show them why they need to be removed and the economics of it and then maybe you will get their ear.

Seems to me the "remedies" are too complicated for any legislative action. And heaven forbid getting it through the "process".

BW #2

Jesus Christ Bobby, if nobody has attempted to cram this down the throats of the legislature then there's no hope.
marker39 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 6:53pm
Not sure if you missed the point I was trying to make or not. :-)

Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by marker39 marker39 wrote:

Not sure if you missed the point I was trying to make or not. :-)

Didn't catch it.Confused
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 8:34pm
I think the point is we need to ask for very simple and understandable stuff from legislators. 

Net ban.

Inshore trawl ban.

Those are not complicated.

Start talking mesh size and zones and caps and yardage and biomass and flux capacitors.......  they won't understand and we will be easily defeated/ignored as usual.

At least that's my take.  I've always pushed for simple stuff.  In the past I was told to not use the word ban.

Ban!  Ban!! Ban!!!!!!    NOW!!!!!!!!!!

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
kshivar View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshivar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2019 at 10:41pm
Let’s go with ‘shall not be used’. People do cringe at ‘banned’. Wimps.
BrackishWater View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 9:53am
 We received this message and pictures from the Pamlico River this weekend:

Hey gentlemen. I wanted to share with you some of the dividends from your striped bass conservation efforts. I cannot ever recall catching this many 3-6 lb. stripers in my life. They are everywhere up near town. Best I can tell they will not fall victim to gill nets unless DMF has an open shad fishery next year. Every one of these fish would stick in a large mesh gill net. Take a look at the fish that were saved due to the moratorium. What you have to realize is that these fish have gotten big enough to stick in large mesh nets. No telling how many would have been lost if a flounder or other large mesh fishery was underway. Seems like a celebration is in order. These fish will have a chance to spawn because of the net restrictions.

Look at what removing the nets means for the Pamlico and Neuse rivers. And just think about next year...we'll have these fish and if we do not have a freeze event, we'll have trout and the big year class of red drum that are almost 18" now. North Carolina can have a world-class fishery if we are just willing to take proactive measures to address the obvious problems.

This would not have been possible without the efforts of MFC Commissioner Cameron Boltes and the leadership to see the net restrictions through provided by MFC Chairman Rob Bizzell. Nobody wanted to see a complete moratorium, certainly not on a fishery that has been stocked 100% by sportsman money, but the net restrictions were the tradeoff. Hard to argue against the results.

A rising tide lifts all boats...
Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 10:10am
This "trade off" wasn't what was sold to the public as the reason for harvest restriction.

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Get Bowed Up Get Bowed Up wrote:

This "trade off" wasn't what was sold to the public as the reason for harvest restriction.

You must have missed this part of the post above-

These fish will have a chance to spawn because of the net restrictions.

Edited by Rick - 11 December 2019 at 10:17am
fiogf49gjkf0d
Redfisher View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 10:31am

Don't worry, the nets will eventually get 'em.
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 10:34am
As soon as it became clear that DMF would not close the commercial harvest and instead insisted on a total moratorium, CCA NC fought for the net restrictions as a "trade off". DMF fought this and without the efforts of Boltes we would not have gotten the motion introduced and passed at the Williamston meeting. The Director refused to issue the proclamation and it was through the fortitude of Chairman Bizzell that the net restrictions were implemented through an emergency meeting. The moratorium without the net restrictions would not have made a difference in the recovery of these fish.
Get Bowed Up View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Get Bowed Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 12:21pm
Thank you for the clarification, some took it as Rec harvest for commercial gear removal as the trade off. Human removals for maximum possible recruitment for two years, as you point out was the trade.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Get Bowed Up Get Bowed Up wrote:

Thank you for the clarification, some took it as Rec harvest for commercial gear removal as the trade off. Human removals for maximum possible recruitment for two years, as you point out was the trade.

...and catch and release mortality wasn't the problem with recruitment.  The 800-pound gorilla was "cryptic mortality" which drilled down to regulatory discards in the gill net fisheries- undersized and out of season mortality.

Gill nets have to go.  Our fisheries can no longer support them...and haven't been able to for a long time.  The sooner the Division and commercial fishermen come to that reality the sooner we can all stop fighting and concentrate on tweaking management plans for the most success for both sectors.  As long as gillnets exist in a FMP, the plan is worthless and the fight continues. 

Edited by Rick - 11 December 2019 at 12:36pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrackishWater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 3:49pm
I should also add that the CSMA net restrictions would not have survived the emergency meeting without the support of commissioners Laughridge, Kornegay and Koury. Two of these three (and Boltes is on the way out) are no longer on the commission so we are dealing with a reshuffled deck going forward on new management measures.

Edited by BrackishWater - 11 December 2019 at 3:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic