FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you remember when......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you remember when......
    Posted: 20 February 2020 at 11:08am
......we actually cared that there was an MFC meeting?

With a solid commercial voting block of 5 votes (maybe 6), there's really nothing good that can happen.

Fish stocks won't improve -- DMF will absolutely never allow it.

Edited by bakesta - 20 February 2020 at 11:34am
"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 1:21pm
While I fully embrace a study of the use of small mesh gillnets in our waters, does anyone else find it "interesting" that the current Sec of the DEQ, an appointed official of Governor Roy Cooper, suddenly decides to do this now?   And while it promises nothing, but a study of something that could be a huge change in our allowance of gillnets, it is still an empty promise without any action.

Can anyone suggest why this revelation has suddenly become clear to one of the Governor's people?

I am weighing reasons as to why he would do it now that include:

1) Uncertainty in the future of the stock market.
2) Climate Change
3) An unapproved budget for the state where both parties are at fault.
4) A statement just before an election that doesn't require any action before that same election, as if a certain number of voters may think the Governor, after all this time as Governor, suddenly wants to be the promising candidate yet again as he was in 2016.

I may weigh things and know little about certain things, but I understand politics and human nature and know that the words of politicians are often spoken and humans give the benefit of the doubt and believe them.   But the populace does learn from prior mistakes.  Myself included.

Then there is this.....this motion was objected to by several, but in the end it was unanimously approved.  If they were that upset about it,why would they vote for it, unless.........they know something I don't know and don't fear it at all.

I love election years, you can get everything you want wrapped in a promise with an expiration date.   Been there and done that with dance partners from both sides.

If it doesn't happen before election day, then it didn't happen no matter the change in climate or what someone said.  Oh, and if you work for the Governor, just remember while these may be my words, their meaning and what this action may mean to recreational fishermen, are not mine.....the Governor, and his staff, get full credit for matching his words to results.  We all heard and read his words, whispering more just before another election; ain't results!  Wink

Edited by Ray Brown - 20 February 2020 at 1:42pm
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 1:32pm
The DMF is going to study gillnets to look for a solution to falling fish populations.  LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest." --- Mark Twain
j.willis View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 1:45pm
Agree Ray and bakesta.

IF anyone thinks the approval of a motion to begin rule making on small mesh gill nets is going to amount to anything, you are delusional. 

Gov. Cooper, Sec. Regan (DEQ) and Dir. Murphy (DMF) just gave the commercial fishing industry a wink-wink and recs the middle finger.

Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 4:08pm

That was fast!  The meeting isn't even over....

News Release issued at 3:07pm and the vote was at 10:05 am this morning.

Roy Cooper, Governor

DEQLogo.png   

Michael S. Regan, Secretary

Release: IMMEDIATE

Date: February 20, 2020

Phone:  (919) 707-8670

State to Review Small Mesh Gill Net Regulations

RALEIGH- The Secretary of the Department of Environmental Quality has directed the Division of Marine Fisheries to conduct a thorough review of the regulations governing the use of small mesh gill nets in North Carolina fisheries.  After decades of actions by numerous Marine Fisheries Commissions (MFC), the department, the division and federal agencies, the regulations have become complex, difficult for stakeholders to understand and create an enforcement challenge. 

A review to simplify the regulations with a goal to reduce bycatch and sustain our stocks is important to commercial and recreational fishermen.   The Division of Marine Fisheries will:

·        Begin a review of existing MFC small mesh (less than 4 inches) gill net rules and proclamations to identify potential amendments with respect to minimum mesh size, total yardage and attendance requirements; and

·        Issue a proclamation this spring to limit yardage for small mesh nets with reasonable upper limits based on analysis of average, minimum and maximum yardages currently used and address attendance requirements in certain 'hot spot' areas.

·        Present rule change options to the MFC later this year.

Edited by Rick - 20 February 2020 at 5:19pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Rick Rick wrote:

That was fast!  The meeting isn't even over....

Roy Cooper, Governor

DEQLogo.png   

Michael S. Regan, Secretary

Release: IMMEDIATE

Date: February 20, 2020

Phone:  (919) 707-8670

State to Review Small Mesh Gill Net Regulations

RALEIGH- The Secretary of the Department of Environmental Quality has directed the Division of Marine Fisheries to conduct a thorough review of the regulations governing the use of small mesh gill nets in North Carolina fisheries.  After decades of actions by numerous Marine Fisheries Commissions (MFC), the department, the division and federal agencies, the regulations have become complex, difficult for stakeholders to understand and create an enforcement challenge. 

A review to simplify the regulations with a goal to reduce bycatch and sustain our stocks is important to commercial and recreational fishermen.   The Division of Marine Fisheries will:

·        Begin a review of existing MFC small mesh (less than 4 inches) gill net rules and proclamations to identify potential amendments with respect to minimum mesh size, total yardage and attendance requirements; and

·        Issue a proclamation this spring to limit yardage for small mesh nets with reasonable upper limits based on analysis of average, minimum and maximum yardages currently used and address attendance requirements in certain 'hot spot' areas.

·        Present rule change options to the MFC later this year.  (after the election)

I added an edit to help those wondering what this could mean.

Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 4:14pm
It wasn't fast, although I have never EVER seen a PR released while the meeting was still ongoing, it was all carefully planned for political reasons.

Guys, I'm not a big fan of Dan Forest who is probably going to be the Republican nominee, but Cooper played me/us four years ago and today he and his staff believe they can do that to me/us again.

We have to prove we have clout statewide.   Cooper deserves to be treated by the recreational fisherman the same way he treated us during his tenure before he was yet a candidate again.   Let's send him home with an empty cooler and in doing so prove to every statewide candidate that when it comes to marine resources we are serious about how and when they are managed and we can be felt when we vote as a block.

Edited by Ray Brown - 20 February 2020 at 4:15pm
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
TomM View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2020 at 11:04pm
Hopefully no one will be delusional again
marker39 View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marker39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2020 at 6:58pm
I got used by Cooper too.

Never again.

BW#2
bakesta View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bakesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2020 at 1:02pm
As a former Cooper supporter and a true moderate, I am really hoping that he loses by just one vote so that I can be one of the many recreational fishermen in North Carolina who can proudly take credit for sending his double-crossing ass out of office.

Removing him will feel good.   But nothing will happen as long as Phil Berger controls the senate.  I'll definitely be voting a split ticket.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic