FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Filing for Unemployment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Brown View Drop Down
Pro
Pro
NCW FOUNDER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filing for Unemployment
    Posted: 30 March 2020 at 10:18am
If you are a guide, charter boat captain, commercial fisherman, house painter, barber, beautician, or independent insurance agent we are all in this together.  Historically none of these professions could file for unemployment unless the company they worked for as a full time employee paid unemployment tax on their behalf.

The new stimulus bill allows everyone to file under the state plan based on income and to receive a $600 one time payment from the Feds not based on income.  Income proof is your prior tax return.

We are all in this together so no matter our positions on nets, trawls, or fishery politics most everyone here are concerned about the personal well being of others so lets lay down those disagreements and get through this by helping.

To get started you need to go to the website below and file electronically.  The state is handling both state and federal funds and you'll need to have your tax returns on hand when you go online and be prepared to spend an hour or so answering questions.  Don't tell me you are going to turn your nose up for a one hour gig that is paying a minimum of $600 per hour.

If you don't feel comfortable on line then call the Employment Security Office nearest you and seek help, but be prepared for a long phone wait for no fault of the state or those employees.   They will eventually get to you and can help.

I can not tell anyone whether a claim will be or will not be approved, but I am willing to help anyone with information on how to get the process started with the state.  I find I have some time on my hands like anyone else so if you aren't sure where to go after reading this but want to file then feel free to call me at 919-922-9387 and I will try to help you get started on the process.  It's the best I can do under the circumstances to help, and the offer is to everyone no matter what you do.

Edited by Ray Brown - 30 March 2020 at 10:20am
I am a native of NC. The "bycatch captial of the east coast of the US". Our legislature lets us kill more fish for no reason than any other Atlantic Coast state. I hope they are proud.
Glacierbaze View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glacierbaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2020 at 10:07pm
Confusing times. As a small business owner, this site has been helpful. I encourage everyone to listen and take notes on the National Small Business Town Hall video there. The most intelligent and informative explanation of the Cares Act that I have found. Have a pen and paper, and make notes of the video timeline, for points that you want to go back over.

https://www.inc.com/

I can't say whether or not all the things discussed made it into the final bill.

Edited by Glacierbaze - 30 March 2020 at 10:12pm
"You can never elevate your own character by stepping on someone else's."

"Never argue with a man who loves the sound of his own voice."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic