FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trawl Bycatch: Virginia vs North Carolina

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro


Joined: 16 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6482
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trawl Bycatch: Virginia vs North Carolina
    Posted: 08 July 2021 at 9:00am
Virginia's Beam Trawl at 16-Feet total length




North Carolina's Typical Trawler




Ocean Trawling Bycatch: Virginia vs North Carolina






To protect important juvenile nursery areas in the Pamlico Sound for Spot, Croaker, Weakfish, Summer Flounder, Southern Flounder and Blue Crab, we must permanently close the "hottest" Hot Spot areas. We must limit effort in the remaining areas by reducing days and hours trawled and limiting gear size.

Virginia's beam trawl fishery would be a good fit for the limited open areas of the Pamlico Sound.




Substitute a beam trawl for maximum of 50-feet of head rope on the map below





We must leave Hatteras and Ocracoke Inlets open as a travel corridor to allow escapement.  Without that, mortality at the population level due to multiple trawl encounters, will offset effort restrictions.

What is mortality at the population level?

Think about Russian Roulette.  Put one bullet in a revolver, spin the cylinder and pull the trigger.  You have a 17% chance of dying or a 83% survival rate.

Now, lets put fifty revolvers on the table, each with one bullet. 

...now, play that game multiple times between now and the middle of November.  




Edited by Rick - 08 July 2021 at 9:36am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Back to Top
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro


Joined: 16 July 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 6482
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2021 at 10:04am

...and a side benefit to a beam trawl!

It just might address the re-suspension of sediment (dredging) that is one of the tenets of the NCCFRG's lawsuit against the industry's use of otter boards.

A University of New Orleans winged-trawled study found that-

Conclusions When assessing the successful survey methods I employed, I found that the WTS disturbed 90% less sediment than the otter trawl. Additionally, the trawl scars left behind by the WTS were the same depth or likely shallower compared to the otter trawl. The combination of these two metrics suggests that the WTS would be a viable option to reduce the impact that bottom trawling causes on the seafloor. 



...obviously reducing bycatch would help address the other tenet of the CFRG lawsuit that deals with water quality issues- nutrification generated by tens of millions of pounds of rotting bycatch in an enclosed shallow water lagoonal system like the Pamlico Sound.

"We ain't dredging!"

Think again-
























Edited by Rick - 08 July 2021 at 10:20am
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.11
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.203 seconds.