FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will Someone please tell DMF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will Someone please tell DMF
    Posted: 03 August 2021 at 11:33am

...that recreational fishing is a HUGE driver of that billion-dollar tourism "lifeline" and it's disappearing fast under its management!

fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
Rick View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2021 at 12:46pm

"On a sunny day just before the Fourth of July, Kelsey Aiken was cutting red drum at Jeffrey’s Seafood next to Hatteras Harbor. Aiken worked methodically, scraping away the scales before measuring and cutting filets."

PROCLAMATION 
RE: RED DRUM -COMMERCIAL FISHING OPERATIONS - OPEN 

This proclamation supersedes FF-18-2021 dated March 4, 2021. It opens the commercial red drum fishery in North Carolina Coastal Fishing Waters. 

John G. Batherson, Acting Director, Division of Marine Fisheries, hereby announces that effective at 12:01 A.M., Saturday, May 1, 2021, the following restrictions will apply to the commercial fishery for red drum: 

I. HARVEST RESTRICTIONS 
A. It is unlawful to possess more than seven (7) red drum per day taken in a commercial fishing operation, regardless of the number of individuals or vessels involved. 
B. It is unlawful to possess red drum taken in a commercial fishing operation that is not in legal possession of either, flounder, bluefish, black drum, or striped mullet caught on the same day. 
C. It is unlawful to land or transport red drum in a commercial fishing operation unless the weight of the combined daily landed catch of flounder, bluefish, black drum or striped mullet exceeds the daily catch of red drum.

What was the legal catch landed with the bycatch red drum witnessed above?

Flounder was closed.

Does NC really need a commercial fishery for RED DRUM, our State Fish, the fish that Outer Banks tourism was built upon!

Does NC really need a commercial Red Drum fishery when most states from Virginia to Texas classify them as a game fish?

Does NC really need a commercial Red Drum fishery so we can take these highly valued recreational fish worth tens of millions of dollars in recreational fishing economic impact so they can be shipped for a few dollars out-of-state as seafood?

"And then there’s concerns about the business’ wholesale trucks, which depend on the road being clear two or three days a week to deliver fresh-caught fish as far north as Hampton, Virgina. From there, the fish is shipped to far-flung places like Canada and California."

Edited by Rick - 03 August 2021 at 1:06pm
fiogf49gjkf0d
NC Fisheries Management- Motto: Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad   Slogan: Shrimp On! Mission Statement: Enable Commercial Fishing At Any and All Cost, Regardless of Impact to the Resource.
chriselk View Drop Down
Pro
Pro

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriselk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2021 at 7:52pm
In some of those states where red drum is gamefish, there is plenty of farm raised gamefish.  I have had it in a Texas restaurant and I could tell no difference.  Others have compared them as well.
https://www.mydeliciousblog.com/wild-or-farm-raised-redfish/

A friend of mine, sent me a picture of a seafood case in New Orleans. It had farm raised drum right next to NC wild caught drum.  Same price.  

While there are limitations on the amount of wild drum  that can be harvested, there is no limit on the amount of red drum that can be farmed.  By the way farmed red drum is done in freshwater (like S. flounder) and thus can be done anywhere in NC.

As most of you know, the future of seafood is in farming.  Unknown to many NC leads in this research to find new, non-forage fish feeds.  Also see:

https://www.gulfstatesaquaculture.com/
https://www.neworleansfishhouse.com/farmraisedredfish

Edited by chriselk - 03 August 2021 at 8:32pm
The above comments are my personal opinion and do not represent those of any organizations or agencies I may be a member of.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic